Bates Middle School counselors provide the following services:
- Counsel individual students and lead small groups regarding their personal, social, and educational needs.
- Consult with parents, teachers, administrators and other support personnel.
- Lead classroom presentations on counseling topics.
- Orient new students and families to Bates Middle School.
- Collaborate with area organizations to enhance community involvement with the school .
- Manage student records.
- Refer students and families with additional needs to outside agencies.
- Participate on School-Based Intervention Teams.
- Register and schedule new students.
- Oversee 5th-6th grade and 8th-9th grade transition activities and events.
- Coordinate career exploration activities.
- Implement the bullying prevention program.
The goals of the Bates Middle School Counseling Program are:
- to assist students in their adjustment to middle school and later in their preparation for high school;
- to be accessible and sensitive to the needs of middle school students during this period of growth and change;
- to support students’ personal and social development;
- to assist students in academic achievement and educational growth;
- to help students establish and maintain positive interpersonal and peer relationships;
- to help students develop effective problem-solving and decision making skills;
- to encourage and guide students as they explore career interests;
- to facilitate students’ appreciation of the dignity and value of multiple cultures;
- and to provide a safe, positive emotional climate that enhances student confidence and learning.
How do I see my counselor?
Counselor Request: The counselor may schedule a meeting with a student to address a specific concern.
Teacher/Staff Referral: A student may be sent or accompanied to the Counseling Office when immediate attention is needed.
Parent Referral: A parent or guardian may request that the counselor meet with his or her child.
Self-Referral: Students wishing to see their counselor may request an appointment.
Beverly Sowell : Guidance Counselor
Erica Lyles : Guidance Counselor
Mark Gilliard : Career Specialist