Summer Activities for Youth 2017
Information brought to you by the Sumter Prevention Team, a coalition of agencies and businesses who work together to prevent problems for our youth.
The information below is subject to change.
- 4-H Camp at Camp Bob Cooper: Week-long residential programs: Dates: June 4 – Aug 4 for 8-14 yr olds. Cost: $480/wk. Includes lodging/meals/programs. Mini camp for 6-9 year olds June 25- 28. Cost is $295. For more info & to register: 803-462-5559 or visit: camp.
- Aquatic Center: Weekly swim camp June 5- August 11. Mon- Fri 9am -12pm. Cost: $40/wk. Call 803-774-3998 to register or visit sumtersc.gov/aquatics-center.
- Asthma Camp: June 5-9, ages 5-12 years old, must have been diagnosed with asthma by a doctor. Palmetto Health Tuomey Care Reach will provide transportation for children who do not have any means of transportation to and from camp. Call Lisa Canty @ 803-774-8698 for more information.
- Crestwood Football Camp: June 3rd. 8am -12pm. Cost: $20. Ages 8-14. Contact: Coach Roosevelt Nelson: 803-469-6200, ext. 7114 or Roosevelt.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HYPE Summer Camp: June 12-August 4 (closed 7/3 – 7/7), Monday-Friday, 8am-4 pm, Newton Family Life Center. Fee: $50/week/child (discount for 2 or more children). Bible study, reading & recreation time. One field trip per week. Breakfast, lunch and snack served. For more info: 803-934-9527 or visit mhnlifecenter.com.
- Kidz Klub Summer Camp: June 5 – July 13, M – Th, 8:30am – 5:30pm. Ages 6-18. Academics, stepping, STEM, trips. South Hope Center. Fee: $25/wk + $10 registration. Contact: South Hope Center (application) or call: 803-436-2653.
- Lakewood Football & Basketball Camp: June 10th. Football 9am -12pm with free lunch after. Basketball 1pm -4pm. Boys ages 1st– 7th Free! Contact: Coach Larry Cornelius: 706-581-7489.
- Lakewood Mini Cheer Camp: July 22nd. 9am -12pm. Cost: $10. Contact: Shannon Murray: 803-506-2700, ext. 1502.
- Opera House: Summer Kids’ Movies: June 8 – August 3. Cost $1.00 per movie/person. $1 popcorn & $1 water. Show times are Thursdays at 10am, 1:00pm, and 7pm. Also have 3 Friday movies at 1pm and 7pm. Call 803-436-2616 or sumtersc.gov/SOHSummerMovies for movie titles and schedule.
- Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club Summer Camp:Weekly programs June 12- July 28 (no camp 7/3 – 7/7). Includes various day trips during the week and out of town field trips on Fridays. Ages K- 10th Mon- Fri 8am -5pm. There is a fee. For more info: 803-775-5007 (over)
- Sumter Gallery of Art: 7 weeks of art classes on a wide variety of topics, such as pottery, drawing, painting, mixed media, sewing, etc. for students ages 4 – 17. Dates: June 12 – August 4 (closed week of 7/3/17); each class is for one week M-F. For more info call: 803-775-0543 or visit sumtergallery.org.
- Sumter County Library Summer Vacation Reading Program- Build a Better World. June 7 – August 4. Reading, crafts, dance, and movies. Activities at Main Library, Wesmark branch, and South Sumter Resource Center for ages 0-18. Call 803-773-7273 for dates and times.
- Sumter County Recreation Department: Summer programs run June 12 – July 21. Ages 5 – 17. Dates and times vary by location. Cost: $15 per child the 1stweek, additional weeks $10. Lunch included. sumtercountysc.org. Contact LaTrelle Chambers @ 803-436-2248. Registration is 5/22-6/2
- Sumter County Sheriff’s Office Annual Youth Conference for ages 10-18 (if still in HS). June 16th –17th for both boys and girls. Boys to Men held at Chestnut Oaks MS, Girls to Women held at Crestwood HS. Contact Major Terrence Colclough at 803-436-2032 or Lt. Petrina Wiley at 803-436-2026. There is a fee. Applications at the schools, Sheriff’s Office, or on their website: www.sumtersheriff.org.
- Sumter High School Mini Cheer Camp: Dates: June 5-8. 9am – 12pm. Cost: $50 (lunch provided). Ages 4 – 12. Contact: Sekenyia.Williams@sumterschools.net.
- Sumter High Basketball Camp: June 5 – 8. 8am -12pm. Cost: $40. Bring your own basketball. Ages 6-17 (co-ed). Contact: Coach Shawn Jones. 803-467-3874.
- Tennis Camp – Palmetto Tennis Center: For more info: 803-774-3969. www.sumtersc.gov/palmetto-tennis-center.
- USC Sumter Summer Courses: 2 week camps on writing, history, and science. 6/19 – 6/30. Cost: $95. Ages 9 -14. For more information, contact Fran Castleberry at 938-3793 or www.uscsumter.edu.
- YMCA Summer Camp: Week-long programs starting June 5 – August 11. Three camps for different age groups. Fun Factory ages 3-10, Camp MacBoykin ages 7-12, Teen Scene ages 11-13, C.I.T. Camp (Counselors In Training) ages 14-16. There is a fee. Call 803-773-1404. Website: www.ymcasumter.org.
- YWCA Y-Teens: For girls and boys, ages 12-17. If interested, please call 803-774-7158.
- PARK: Parents Accessing Resources for Kids. FREE. Saturday, 8/5/17. Sumter High School. For parents and kids of all ages. Registration 9:00am. Program: 10am – 1pm. Speakers and vendors on community resources available in the areas of health, education, and community. Door prizes! Sponsored by The Sumter Prevention Team.